The Ortofon OM 5 series encompasses three basic cartridges: OM 5S, OM 5E and Super OM 5E.
• The series is the lowest-mass range of moving magnet cartridges offered by Ortofon.
• The OM cartridges bodies have been designed to provide easy mounting and alignment on both top mount and bottom mount headshells.
• The OM 5 Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
The Super OM 5E major improvements:
1. By means of computer simulations it has been possible to define the natural pivot point of the system with unprecedented accuracy while achieving an optimum oscillation balance. The result: improved linearity, higher channel separation and reduced distortion.
2. OM Super cartridges models have split pole PINs which reduces magnetic losses at the treble end. This technology extends the frequency range and improves phase linearity.
3. OM Super 5 cartridge body is manufactured from a Noryl (plastic & glass compound) which ensures high rigidity and freedom from resonances.
Super OM 5 Technical data
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 4 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz - 1.5 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz - 22 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz - 15 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB - 20-25.000 Hz
Frequency response - 20-20.000 Hz ± 2 dB
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force - 65 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 20 µm/mN
Stylus type - Elliptical
Stylus tip radius - r/R 8/18 µm
Tracking force range - 1.5-2.0 g (15-20 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 1.75 g (17.5 mN)
Tracking angle - 20°
Internal impedance, DC resistance - 1 kOhm
Internal inductance - 580 mH
Recommended load resistance - 47 kOhm
Recommended load capacitance - 200-500 pF
Cartridge colour, body/stylus - Black/Black
Cartridge weight incl. extra weight - 5 g
Cartridge weight excl. extra weight - 2.5 g
Replacement stylus unit - Stylus 5 E, Stylus 10